APRIL 17, 1915 ON OUR WAY TO THE HAGUE
Yesterday, 45 of us set sail from New York City on the Dutch steamship, the SS Noordam. We are most anxious to reach the Hague to meet with other peace women and suffragettes even though we may be risking our lives crossing the Atlantic during this war. In January, we formed the Women's Peace Party in the United States and advocated for "continuous mediation": nonstop talks until the war ends. We are shocked at the terrible bloodshed that has been going on for months, 6,000 dead each day!! with Austria-Hungary, Germany, Bulgaria and the Ottoman Empire (Turkey) fighting against Great Britain, France, Belgium, and Russia. All kinds of new weapons have brought this devastation
Yes, while some think politics is men's business, the nurturing instincts of women make us especially fit to lead the peace movement. My motto from early days has always been to do what you are afraid to do. I will keep you posted.
WILPF MONTHLY MEETING
We're celebrating WILPF's 100th Anniversary.
We generally meet every month on the third Saturday, 11 am to 1 pm at Peace Resource Center, 1364 Fremont, Seaside, CA.
However, this month we are meeting on the 4th Saturday, April 25 to tie in with the WILPF International celebration.
See our events page for more details.25
Sat Apr 25, 2015
WILPF Monterey County Monthly Meeting
11 am - 2 pm
Peace Resource Center, 1364 Fremont Blvd.
Seaside, CA 93955
WILPF Monterey County is meeting from 11 am to 2 pm
We'll have a listening circle to imagine the future of WILPF, its history, with a special appearance by our great fore mother, Jane Addams, who will share some of her life and considerable accomplishments for peace.
Come enjoy potluck with us.
New members always welcome!
WOMEN’S POWER TO STOP WAR
100 years of Peacemaking from a Woman's Perspective
- OUR CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION APRIL 22-25, 2015, THE HAGUE, THE NETHERLANDS -- Members meet to affirm a MANIFESTO shaping the next 100 years of our organization
- April 27-29 PEACE WOMEN (and like-minded men) join the International Conference on Peacebuilding of the Century with hundreds from around the world to strategize and strengthen peacemaking
JOIN WILPF and you will become a part of an international community of courageous women activists who believe -
- conflict and wars cannot be stopped without the experience and expertise of women
- it is time for women to focus on and use their power to stop war.
- our weapons are dialogue, knowledge and persistence.
- we should insist on women's right to participate in all political fora, from Congress to the peace table.
More about the International Congress at women stopwar.org.
Visit WILPF US at www.wilpfus.org.Show More